[OmniOS-discuss] Intel C600 driver issue

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Wed Sep 17 17:58:30 UTC 2014

Hi Dan (and sjorge),

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, that's the conclusion I was coming to myself.  When I saw the BIOS
setting for "ESRT2" mode, which claimed it was an LSI derivative, I dared
to entertain a glimmer of hope for a little while (:-).

We actually have an LSI SAS HBA in this system, connected to an external
JBOD.  Can't really justify using one of its 4TB SAS disks as a boot drive,
as those are all dedicated to other tasks.

The SCU can be "upgraded" with optional "RAID Upgrade Key" thingies that
you plug into a socket in the motherboard.  Some of them enable SAS-mode,
among other things, but I suspect we'd still be stuck with something that
doesn't speak to the mpt_sas, etc. drivers in illumos.

There is actually an AHCI SATA controller onboard too, but the disk
backplane in this 4-node chassis seems to be directly wired (via a
bridge-board) to the SCU.  The one exception is Port 0 on the system's
AHCI SATA controller, which allegedly goes to a special "DOM" socket.
The system came with an Intel DC S3700 SSD for its boot drive, regular
SATA unit, and there doesn't seem to be space in this jam-packed
motherboard + chassis to connect it to one of the other onboard
AHCI SATA ports.

Hmm, Plan B?  Those DOM's aren't cheap. Would 16GB be sufficient?
  http://www.directron.com/d150qvlintel16.html
Can dump/swap zvols be on a non-mirrored (raidz3) external pool?

Failing that, Plan C:  Probably we'll have to use ZFS-on-Linux.
Oh, the disappointment....

Thanks and regards,

Marion