[OmniOS-discuss] Intel C600 driver issue

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Sep 17 18:09:49 UTC 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 1:58 PM, Marion Hakanson <hakansom at ohsu.edu> wrote:

> The SCU can be "upgraded" with optional "RAID Upgrade Key" thingies that
> you plug into a socket in the motherboard.  Some of them enable SAS-mode,
> among other things, but I suspect we'd still be stuck with something that
> doesn't speak to the mpt_sas, etc. drivers in illumos.

That's correct.  No SCU support for any of those, with or without a RAID Upgrade Key.  (Unless there's some bizarro way for them to look/smell/feel like AHCI, which I doubt is the case.)

> There is actually an AHCI SATA controller onboard too, but the disk
> backplane in this 4-node chassis seems to be directly wired (via a
> bridge-board) to the SCU.

That's disappointing. I suppose this is a limitation of the form factor?

>  The one exception is Port 0 on the system's
> AHCI SATA controller, which allegedly goes to a special "DOM" socket.
> The system came with an Intel DC S3700 SSD for its boot drive, regular
> SATA unit, and there doesn't seem to be space in this jam-packed
> motherboard + chassis to connect it to one of the other onboard
> AHCI SATA ports.

Eeesh.

> Hmm, Plan B?  Those DOM's aren't cheap. Would 16GB be sufficient?
>  http://www.directron.com/d150qvlintel16.html
> Can dump/swap zvols be on a non-mirrored (raidz3) external pool?

16GB can keep an rpool and some amount of subsequent BEs.

You can definitely put *dump* zvols on a raidz3 pool as of r151010, thanks to this illumos fix:

	https://illumos.org/issues/2932

I wasn't sure about swap, but a quick query of #illumos on IRC suggests that YES, you can.

So 16GB rpool + everything else on your big pool == win.

Hope this helps,