[OmniOS-discuss] beadm activate issue (and pkg update fails to install boot files)

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Wed Sep 24 05:47:37 UTC 2014

On 24/09/14 15:40, Tom Robinson wrote:
> On 24/09/14 15:35, Dan McDonald wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 2014, at 1:33 AM, Tom Robinson <tom.robinson at motec.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Dan, I can see where you're going with that idea. Should I pay any attention to:
>>>
>>> Partition 0 of the disk has an incorrect offset
>>> Unable to gather device information for /dev/rdsk/c4t3d0s0
>> That is a bit disturbing.
>>
>> What about the other one in the mirror?  c4t2d0s0 ?
> Nothing reported by beadm. I'm not sure if c4t3d0s0 is first or last according to installgrub. Is
> the only way to tell by running installgrub? I get nervous at this point. Also my next maintenance
> window will most likely not be until next week.
>
> In theory, installgrub shouldn't have any influence on the currently booted system, right?
Ok, since c4t3d0s0 IS failing to accept the installgrub here goes:

# installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c4t3d0s0
Partition 0 of the disk has an incorrect offset
Unable to gather device information for /dev/rdsk/c4t3d0s0

and

# installgrub /mnt/boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c4t3d0s0
Partition 0 of the disk has an incorrect offset
Unable to gather device information for /dev/rdsk/c4t3d0s0

I'm still nervous about running this on my (apparently) only bootable disk... (c4t2d0s0)