[OmniOS-discuss] illumos-kvm network performance

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 24 13:02:39 UTC 2014

Hi

I have been looking into network performance on omnios hosted kvm
hosts. especially in connection with ssh.

the test is this:

  physical-linux-host$ ssh -c aes256-cbc virtual-kvm-linux-host dd if=/dev/zero bs=10M count=10 > /dev/null

running this simple test from a physical ubuntu 12.04 host to a
omnios hosted (virtio) ubuntu 12.04 I get ~ 9 MB/s

running the same test to a ubuntu 12.04 running on linux kvm host
I get ~ 69 MB/s

runnint the test between two physical linux hosts I get well over 100 MB/s

any hints on how to improve the performance on kvm on omnios ? Or
am I the only one seeing this ?

cheers
tobi

ps all these systems support the hw aes and running this test via
localhost returns transfer speeds over 100 MB/s on all of them

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902