[OmniOS-discuss] illumos-kvm network performance

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 24 14:15:11 UTC 2014

Today Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been looking into network performance on omnios hosted kvm
> hosts. especially in connection with ssh.
>
> the test is this:
>
>   physical-linux-host$ ssh -c aes256-cbc virtual-kvm-linux-host dd if=/dev/zero bs=10M count=10 > /dev/null
>
> running this simple test from a physical ubuntu 12.04 host to a
> omnios hosted (virtio) ubuntu 12.04 I get ~ 9 MB/s
>
> running the same test to a ubuntu 12.04 running on linux kvm host
> I get ~ 69 MB/s
>
> runnint the test between two physical linux hosts I get well over 100 MB/s
>
> any hints on how to improve the performance on kvm on omnios ? Or
> am I the only one seeing this ?

upon further investigtion I found that smartos seem to be launching their
kvm instances with

  -device virtio-net-pci,mac=$mac,tx=timer,x-txtimer=200000,x-txburst=128,vlan=0

using this I got up to 30.5 MB/s (still not the 69 MB/s seen with
linux, but at least somewhat closer) ...

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902