[OmniOS-discuss] Managing KVM virtual machines

Jorge Schrauwen sjorge+ml at blackdot.be
Fri Sep 26 21:35:00 UTC 2014

You can make qemu dump a monitoring socket, you can then use netcat to
send commands like acpi shutdown events but also query other info. If
the socket is dead, the qemu process crashed.

So applying some wrapper magic it could be possible to make the svc more
intelligent. I can't offor you a working manifest though :( I theorized
about it but deemed it too much work for the one vm I run. I do use the
qemu monitoring socket however.

-chardev
socket,id=monitor,path=/vms/hosts/${VMNAME}/run/monitor.sock,server,nowait

-monitor chardev:monitor

To add the monitor

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Regards