[OmniOS-discuss] 014 NGZ: beadm problems

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Apr 6 20:13:37 UTC 2015

Hello all!

I have a strange problem with using beadm in NGZs on a freshly installed 014
box.  I have created the following zone:

  GZ# zonecfg -z omnit1 info
  zonename: omnit1
  zonepath: /zones/omnit1
  brand: lipkg
  autoboot: false
  bootargs:
  pool:
  limitpriv:
  scheduling-class:
  ip-type: shared
  hostid:
  fs-allowed:
  net:
          address: 192.168.99.21/24
          allowed-address not specified
          physical: zone0
          defrouter: 192.168.99.254
  attr:
          name: comment
          type: string
          value: "OmniOS Test Zone 1"

The zone works fine.  However, when I look at the current BEs inside the NGZ I
get this:

  omnit1# beadm list
  BE  Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
  zbe xNb2015-04-06 18:35 /          510M  static 2015-04-06 18:35

Note the strange output format.  A verbose listing does display the dataset
properly, but fails with an error message:

  omnit1# beadm list -av
  be_zone_get_parent_uuid: failed to parse parentuuid
  be_zone_compare_uuids: failed to get parentbe uuid from the given BE
  BE/Dataset/Snapshot            Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
  zbe
     rpool/zones/omnit1/ROOT/zbe NR     /          510M  static 2015-04-06 18:35

On a NGZ running on another 014 box that was updated from 012, and the NGZ was
converted from the ipkg to the lipkg brand, beadm works just fine:

  otherzone# beadm list
  BE  Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
  zbe NR     /          3.78G static 2015-03-29 20:17

  otherzone# beadm list -av
  BE/Dataset/Snapshot                  Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
  zbe
     rpool/zones/kayak/ROOT/zbe        NR     /          3.06G static 2015-03-29 20:17

What's worse, creating a new BE produces the same error:

  omnit1# beadm create -va zbe-test1
  be_zone_get_parent_uuid: failed to parse parentuuid
  be_zone_compare_uuids: failed to get parentbe uuid from the given BE
  be_create_snapshot: creating snapshot for the zone root dataset from non-active global BE is not supported
  be_copy: failed to create auto named snapshot
  Unable to create zbe-test1.
  Operation not supported.

For completeness, here is the BE list for the GZ:

  GZ# beadm list -av
  BE/Dataset/Snapshot  Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
  omnios
     rpool/ROOT/omnios NR     /          999M  static 2015-04-05 20:56

To make a long story short, testing on another zone with the "ipkg" as opposed
to the "lipkg" brand produces the same result.

The only relevant bug I could find is #3845 but that is marked resolved:

  https://www.illumos.org/issues/3845

What am I doing wrong?  How could I tackle this?  I have checked the obvious,
i.e. a missing libuuid, but it is there and gets pulled in properly.

Thanks for any pointers!

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"