[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151014: questions about locale settings and vi editing command's issues.

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Apr 16 10:57:32 UTC 2015

> Yes, physical USB Italian keyboard directly connected to my little
> HP MicroServer G7 (or G8, no matter).

I am using exactly the same, original Chicony/HP USB keyboard directly
connected to an HP N54L (G7).  It is a German keyboard of course. :-)

> I'm using the default OmniOS Shell...after login:
>
> echo $SHELL /usr/bin/bash
>
> echo $TERM sun-color
>
> They're default, never touched (as the /root/.profile file too).
>
> I'm starting to have few suspects there is something wrong with
> these "default" settings...Isn't it Volker?

No, the default works just fine for me and always has:

root at nfs:/root# pkg list -H entire
entire                             11-0.151014                i--

root at nfs:/root#  echo $SHELL
/usr/bin/bash

root at nfs:/root# echo $TERM
sun-color

root at nfs:/root# kbd -l
type=6
layout=9 (0x09)
delay(ms)=500
rate(ms)=40

All keys work fine in vi, including the arrow keys, also those in
the numerical keypad.  I can enter all special characters (like
German umlauts, äöüß).

I do not have LANG and any LC_* variable set in my root environment.
So, in the shell I need to press the bash escape character (^V):

root at nfs:/root# echo ^Vü

Try unsetting LANG and LC_* and see if the arrow keys work.

Hope this helps -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"