[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151014: questions about locale settings and vi editing command's issues.

Davide Poletto davide.poletto at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 21:03:13 UTC 2015

Hi Tim,

There isn't any difference when I press "Esc" then "a" (so no "Esc" and "a"
at the same time...that's not possible to grant that happens): vi behaviour
is abnormal because It doesn't show you that it entered into INSERT mode
even if it looks like it has (both directly via locally connected USB
Keyboard with Italian layout and also via SSH from a Linux machine that has
another USB Keyboard with Italian layout). I can't make a video...but if
you would see it you would understand it's like to guess what key to press
to obtain a particular action you yet know (because you did that hundreds
times with vi in Linux).

As example: If I press "Esc" then "a" it seem into the INSERT mode but vi
doesn't show that...then with "Canc" (and not "Esc" only to go back as you
wrote) it goes out from this mode and enters into what looks like the
COMMAND mode because if then I press "dd" vi deletes the line which the
cursor is). At this point I don't know if I have a problem (never seen when
I edit files with vi in Linux) or if there is really something strange
happening with my settings.

Davide.