[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151014: questions about locale settings and vi editing command's issues.

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Apr 16 21:04:55 UTC 2015

Unless you disable compatibility mode, in which case you can happily
navigate with the arrow keys while in edit mode, presumably just as you are
used to doing under linux.

> Now on a OmniOS (and every other *NIX I know) console the arrow keys send
> an ESC as the first character of their sequence so you end up in command
mode.

I don't know the internal details, but I assume vim interprets "ESC+arrow
key stuff" as a movement command even in edit mode rather than reverting to
command mode and doing random stuff based on the keys following the ESC...