[OmniOS-discuss] What do people use for basic system monitoring?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Apr 21 21:41:21 UTC 2015

Given that several of the original core OmniOS team work for Circonus, I'd
say the answer from this side would be pretty biased.

Collectd works okay, but certainly isn't my preference as the polling
interval can't easily modified on-demand during troubleshooting.

We use nad everywhere: https://github.com/circonus-labs/nad  It exposes
systems telemetry in JSON over HTTP and has some really nice features like
exposing histograms of syscall latencies and/or disk I/O latencies allowing
you to track the latency of every individual I/O against every spindle --
nice for understanding workload changes and disk behavior issues.

As it is JSON data, it should trivial to pump it into just about any
metrics systems... Circonus is free for up to 500 metrics:

http://www.circonus.com/free-account/

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu>
wrote:

>  Out of curiosity: I suspect that plenty of people are gathering basic
> system activity stats for their OmniOS systems and pushing them into
> modern metrics systems such as graphite (to pick perhaps the most well
> known package for this). For those that are doing this, what is your
> preferred collection agent?
>
> (My ideal collection agent would be able to gather stats for ZFS,
> network and disk IO, and general kernel stats analogous to vmstat
> and mpstat.)
>
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>         - cks

Theo Schlossnagle