[OmniOS-discuss] What do people use for basic system monitoring?

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Tue Apr 21 21:47:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus at omniti.com> wrote:
> We use nad everywhere: https://github.com/circonus-labs/nad  It exposes
> systems telemetry in JSON over HTTP and has some really nice features like
> exposing histograms of syscall latencies and/or disk I/O latencies allowing
> you to track the latency of every individual I/O against every spindle --
> nice for understanding workload changes and disk behavior issues.

I was writing something at the same time, so I'll just let Theo's word
stand and add a couple of things:

If you `make install-illumos` you'll get all the default illumos
plugins activated and an SMF service installed as well.

The "track every I/O" feature comes from a (non-default) plugin called
"io.js" that uses node-libdtrace [1] and DTrace's io provider to
report the latency of *every* I/O operation, allowing you to build a
histogram like https://circonus-ops.circonus.com/trending/graphs/view/0b3b922e-f670-4efa-9cc8-84cb7489e3af
to visualize disk latency distribution.

Eric

[1] https://github.com/bcantrill/node-libdtrace