[OmniOS-discuss] LTS just comes to a halt doing mass-copy

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 08:03:11 UTC 2015

Hello, I've just bailed out of updating to LTS / r151014 because I was
unable to copy the data across from the old system.  My system has a
single rpool mirrored three ways across c2t[023]d0s0 (all on-board
SATA) so to upgrade, I:

1.  download the update (USB version) and dd it to a stick.

2.  # zfs snapshot -r rpool at Z

3.  reboot from the stick and install the new OS to c2t0d0s0

4.  # zpool import -o readonly=on -R /woz rpool woz

That imports the 'old' system but degraded of course because c2t0d0s0
now holds the 'new' system so the mirror has only two of three copies.
Now copy all my filesystems from old to new:

5.  # for I in home mail-archive volumes etcetera ... do
        zfs send -R woz/$I at Z | zfs recv rpool/$I
        zfs destroy -r woz/$I at Z
        echo $I
done

The problem is that the process just dies.  It copied about 200GiB but
then just froze.  No disk activity.  ACPI was sort-of working because
when I pressed the power button the console showed a message, but the
machine didn't power down and I had to hold down the power button to
obtain a hard power-off.

I ran a zpool scrub the night before with no errors.

If you're wondering how I have three disks in that tiny machine, I run
two of them externally via eSATA connections that I installed myself.

Any ideas ?

Michael.