[OmniOS-discuss] supermicro A1SRM-2558F

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Sun Aug 2 13:46:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 13:32:39 +0200
Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> Umm, roughly twice as many independent tasks, assuming you can saturate your 4 cores? Think compile farms, mail relays with antispam, webservers, databases with parallelisable queries, zfs with compression, VMs, etc. Simply many background processes (dormant zones and services) can require a bit of overhead in context switching (and at a few thousand processes per core this can become a fulltime job of its own); the more cores you have - the smaller hit you get per each.
>
> Even if you do not have such loads running fullthrottle all the time, it is possible that the moment you do - more cores can help reach your goals faster in wallclock time.

This servers only job will primarily be exposing zvol's as iSCSI LUN's
and to a lesser extend shared storage via NFS for virtual servers. I
have one now doing the same job running on a 4 core Opteron (3350 HE)
and at no time it has been even close to saturate all 4 cores. I think
4 cores should suffice and for only 15W compared to 45w.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys: