[OmniOS-discuss] supermicro A1SRM-2558F

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Aug 2 18:23:46 UTC 2015

2 августа 2015 г. 15:46:54 CEST, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> пишет:
>On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 13:32:39 +0200
>Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>

>> Umm, roughly twice as many independent tasks, assuming you can
>saturate your 4 cores? Think compile farms, mail relays with antispam,
>webservers, databases with parallelisable queries, zfs with
>compression, VMs, etc. Simply many background processes (dormant zones
>and services) can require a bit of overhead in context switching (and
>at a few thousand processes per core this can become a fulltime job of
>its own); the more cores you have - the smaller hit you get per each.
>>
>> Even if you do not have such loads running fullthrottle all the time,
>it is possible that the moment you do - more cores can help reach your
>goals faster in wallclock time.
>
>This servers only job will primarily be exposing zvol's as iSCSI LUN's
>and to a lesser extend shared storage via NFS for virtual servers. I
>have one now doing the same job running on a 4 core Opteron (3350 HE)
>and at no time it has been even close to saturate all 4 cores. I think
>4 cores should suffice and for only 15W compared to 45w.

FWIW, Oracle boasted that Fishworks storage had a lot of cores that were quite used in compression, perhaps dedup and encryption (not illumos case), btw you can plug VFS filters like antivirus into zfs since almost forever, etc. As well as processing work of all the server-services. At high loads even interrupt processing has a noticeable cost.

So as usual ymmv - for your loads 4 cores may suffice ;)

HTH,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android