[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151016 zone has difficulties shutting down

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Dec 7 00:19:03 UTC 2015

On a freshly installed zone with no additional packages installed (but
with one lofs mount to a filesystem), I am seeing a glitch with
'zoneadm -z name shutdown', 'zoneadm -z name reboot' or 'reboot'
within the zone.  This message appears on the console and in the
/var/adm/messages file of the global zone:

Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error]
[zone 'pkgbuild'] failed to open console master: Device busy
Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error]
[zone 'pkgbuild'] WARNING: could not open master side of zone console
for pkgbuild to release slave handle: Device busy
Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error]
[zone 'pkgbuild'] WARNING: console /devices//pseudo/zconsnex at 1/zcons at 1
found, but it could not be removed.: I/O error

and the shutdown hangs.  If I then do a zlogin to the console (or have
already done so) the shutdown immediately completes:

    scrappy:~% pfexec zlogin -C pkgbuild
    [Connected to zone 'pkgbuild' console]

    [NOTICE: Zone halted]

If I attempt to zlogin into the zone while it is being shut down I get

zlogin: login allowed only to running zones (pkgbuild is
'shutting_down').

If I do 'zoneadm -z name reboot', it works fine, although this is
documented to be the same as 'shutdown' followed by 'boot'.

If I do the reboot on the zone console then the reboot works fine.

This is the second zone that I have installed and the first zone also
encountered this issue.  The problem went away with the other zone but
still persists for this new zone.

Have others encountered this issue?  What can be done to fix it?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn