[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS stops acting as a DHCP client

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Sun Dec 27 13:45:46 UTC 2015

On 12/26/2015 11:49 PM, Michael Mounteney wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 06:24:41 -0500 Gary Gendel <gary at genashor.com> wrote:
>
>> Try snooping the nic to see if you get the appropriate DHCP messages
>> flowing in and out of the box.  Make sure you don't have an ipfilter
>> rule blocking this traffic.  You might try to shut down ipfilter just
>> to see if it got in the way.
> Gary, you were right.  At first I dismissed your solution because I
> reasoned that I had not altered the ipfilter rule set so why would it
> block the DHCP request when it never did before?  But I had run the
> initial DHCP request early during configuration **before configuring
> ipfilter**.
>
> The actual problem is the lack of a port=68 rule to let the
> lease-response through.
>
> ______________
> Michael Mounteney
Michael,

It always helps to not assume anything and test everything. I have a
modern smartphone get an OS update quarterly.  After each update, I get
the same symptom... Every ~20 hours all applications send me
notifications that I have to log in again.  However, when I check I am
logged in.  The only cure I found was to wipe the phone clean and
install each application again manually.  If I restore from backup the
nonsense starts all over again.  It goes against reason but it happens
reliably after each OS update.  Software is funny that way.

Gary