[OmniOS-discuss] in.tftpd not working and how to fix it

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Feb 3 22:46:38 UTC 2015

caveat: due to the kvm performance problem I am still running 010
... but maybe this is also a problem on more recent versions ...

so here goes:

after upgrading to 010 the tftp service on our omnios box stopped
working properly ... it served a few bytes of the request and then
timed out ...

we investigated for a bit and then moved our tftp service to linux.

Today I ran into the problem again and found the solution:

on http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Installation there is:

 Activate TFTP server by adding the following line to
 /etc/inetd.conf and running the "inetconv" command. This will
 create an SMF service, network/tftp/udp6. Don't worry about the
 "udp6" bit-- it listens for both IPv4 and IPv6 connections.

well as it turnes out, you actually SHOULD worry and use 'udp'
instead ... then all will work nicely (on ip4 at least).

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902