[OmniOS-discuss] FINALLY - OmniOS bloody is now updated. (long, please read)

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Feb 6 13:25:38 UTC 2015

3 февраля 2015 г. 21:35:30 CET, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> пишет:
>There is no TL;DR for this.  Please read all of this before you
>upgrade.
>
>This is a big one.  I've updated install media AND the repo servers.
>Users who use "pkg update" will be getting a big wad (I'm not taking
>chances with missed packages or components).  I'm sorry it took longer
>than I expected, but there was an illumos-gate ZFS bug (5531) I wanted
>fixed before I released the next bloody update.
>
>This is r151013-20150203:
>
>- omnios-build master branch, revision 0c38601
>
>- NEW UPDATE to pkg(5).  This carries a LOT with it, and gets its own
>section below.
>
>- OpenSSL is now at 1.0.2.
>
>- One bugfix to illumos-kvm-cmd that needed to be cherrypicked (because
>we can't catch up until VND is upstreamed from SmartOS).
>
>- Longstanding bug with GCC 4.4.4's "cc1" not being properly linked.
>(Thanks Richard Yao of ZFS-on-Linux for catching this.)
>
>- Curl is now at 7.40.0.
>
>- NTP dependency fix, from the community. (Thanks to "takashiary".)
>
>- Git is now at 2.2.1.
>
>- ncurses have their auxiliary libs now in /usr/gnu/lib.  (Thanks to
>Lauri "lotheac" Tirkkonen.)
>
>- illumos-omnios master branch, revision aef6850 (last illumos-gate
>merge 6309835)
>
>- Several ZFS enhancements, and sometimes followup fixes for them (one,
>5531, was what made this release take longer than it should have).
>
>- dis(1) supports cross-target disassembly  (Illumos 3317)
>
>- NFS improvements in the authentication cache (Illumos 5509)
>
>- Several ELF safety improvements from Rich Lowe.
>
>- kmem_reap() performance improvements
>
>- preadv() and pwritev()
>NOTE: KVM's poor handling of these (assuming all the world's Linux) is
>why we have a cherrypick above.
>
>- illumos-side hwdata (PCI & USB) updates.  (NOTE: OmniOS keeps a copy
>in omnios-userland, that will be updated closer to 014's release).
>
>- Developer prototypes updated to 2015
>
>- Introducing the linked-ipkg ("lipkg") zone brand.  See below about
>how this relates to the new pkg(5) changes.
>
>- Reducing RAM used in managing ZFS cache devices
>
>- Many new, corrected, and updated man pages.
>
>- Longstanding mailx(1) overflow fixes now in place.
>

>NEW FOR 2015 -- updated pkg(5)
>
>You may have known this from previous bloody releases, but we've been
>using the same oldish version of pkg(5) since at least r151006 in
>OmniOS.  Bloody releases have had a half-finished pkg(5) that breaks
>things like "zoneadm -z <zone> attach -u".  When a release came, we
>reverted to the old r151006 version of pkg(5).  That changes now.
>
>If you're interested in source, our new repo for pkg(5) is
>http://github.com/omniti-labs/pkg5 or src.omniti.com:~omnios/core/pkg5.
> It's a downstream of OI Hipster's for now.
>
>The OpenIndiana Hipster folks have done some work to bring pkg(5) more
>up to date with its upstream. The new pkg(5) contains many
> [...]

Upgrade of my split-root omnios installation with my scripts that manage these more complicated BE's went almost well, the (shared) /var/log dataset needed to be (lofs-)mounted into the cloned BE for pkg to succeed.

Relevant updates to beadm-update.sh should now be available in my github at https://github.com/jimklimov/illumos-splitroot-scripts if anyone else does those setups ;)

If anyone gets around to port this logic into proper filesystem smf, zfs clone and beadm toolset - i'd be happy ;)

Thanks,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android