[OmniOS-discuss] Dell vs. Supermicro and any recommendations..

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Feb 18 15:34:18 UTC 2015

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Andy <omnios at citrus-it.net> wrote:
>
> I've read some useful posts on this mailing list about the Dell R730xd -
> specifically that if we ask Dell to configure it for Nexenta then it will
> come with an LSI HBA and Intel NICs but I haven't seen any further posts
> saying whether anyone has had any success getting one of these up and
> running. I got the impression from the posts that it wasn't a great idea
> and Supermicro is a better option.

The key is to get an HBA illumos likes.  The *default* Dell HBAs aren't all that great, and stick you with HW-RAID.

I've not heard success stories with "Nexenta Configured" + OmniOS, but that's because every Nexenta configuration was used to... well... run NexentaStor.  :)

I know lots of illumos shops run SuperMicro with success.