[OmniOS-discuss] (From illumos) Request for e1000g and igb testing for latest parts

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Feb 27 16:20:50 UTC 2015

Hello OmniOS fans!

Robert Mustacchi from Joyent has updated e1000g & igb with more modern code from Intel.

If you are an OmniOS person looking to try this out, and need help updating either your e1000g or igb, please let me know via the OmniOS discussion list, or via unicast mail.  The binaries he supplies below should just *DROP IN* on any OmniOS revision.  I'll be trying this out on 64-bit e1000g (for 82579LM or 85274L) in bloody and maybe 64-bit igb in r151012 (for I210) respectively.

NOTE:  Use the non-debug bits unless you've built an entire BE around a DEBUG illumos-omnios build.

My advice for those who want to try is:

	beadm create new-intel
	beadm mount new-intel /mnt
	<place appropriate new 64-bit binaries in /mnt/kernel/drv/amd64/{igb,e1000g}>
	beadm umount new-intel
	beadm activate new-intel
	reboot

You can and should re-activate the existing BE when you're done testing.

Happy Intel Ethernetting!
Dan