[OmniOS-discuss] Who alters /etc/profile or /etc/.login on their boxes?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Feb 27 21:27:18 UTC 2015

This is a serious question.  A recent illumos push mildly affects people who have, but in OmniOS's case, it's a mild change (not a horrible one).

I'd appreciate some on-list feedback about who does and doesn't change their /etc/profile or /etc/.login vs. what we ship.

The next bloody update (and r151014) will alter the default file, and because of IPS, it won't be replaced IF the file was altered from the stock configuration.  Fortunately for OmniOS, it's mostly a don't-care.

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,
Dan McD -- OmniOS Engineering