[OmniOS-discuss] big zfs storage?

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Fri Jul 10 02:30:15 UTC 2015

Linda,

I have 3.5 PB running under OmniOS.  All my systems have LSI 2108 HBAs
which is considered the best choice for HBAs.

Illumos leaves a bit to be desired with handling faults from disks or SAS
problems, but things under OmniOS have been improving, much thanks to Dan
McDonald and OmniTI.   We have a paid support on all of our production
systems with OmniTI.  Their response and dedication has been very good.
Other than the occasional panic and restart from a disk failure, OmniOS has
been solid.   ZFS of course never has lost a single bit of information.

I'd be curious why you're looking to move, have there been specific
problems under BSD or ZoL?  I've been slowly evaluating FreeBSD ZFS, but of
course the skeletons in the closet never seem to come out until you do
something big.

-Chip