[OmniOS-discuss] Xeon SOC with 10 GB net card

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Jul 17 13:49:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Fábio Rabelo wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> Someone knows if the 10 GB network ports in this litle baby works with OmniOS ?
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-8C-TLN4F.cfm
>
> Yes, I am dreaming with a very compact pure SSD storage ;- ))
>
> With one 8 port SAS in the PCIe slot, plus 4 Sata 3 ports in the motherboard, with a DOM module to boot the system and the
> remainig Sata 3 to ZIL device ....

I have one of these on order, which will have 6 hot-swap AHCI/SATA
SSDs and 2 M.2 AHCI SSDs (Samsung SM951).  One of the M.2 AHCI SSDs is
supported by an a PCIe adaptor card.  I have instructed my computer
builder to install OmniOS on it.  It is not clear if this will mostly
just work (other than 10Gbit interfaces) or be an adventure.

Look for my previous posting on the illumos-discuss mailing list which
was inappropriately entitled "Does Illumos support Pentum D?".  There
were some useful responses based on pre-production samples.

The M.2 interface is really interesting since it is based on 4 (or 2
on some boards) channels of PCIe 3.0 and is able to support AHCI or
NVME cards without the transfer overhead of SATA.  Illumos is not
quite there yet for NVME, although a driver has already been going
through the review process.  In addition to the possible use of M.2 as
a boot drive, these cards should work really well as ZFS L2 ARC since
the read performance is extremely high.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn