[OmniOS-discuss] speeding up file access

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 04:26:03 UTC 2015

Hello list;  this is a very basic question about ZFS performance from
someone with limited sysadmin knowledge.  I've seen various messages
about ZILs and caching and noticed that my Supermicro 5017C-LF
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5017/SYS-5017C-LF.cfm).
This has a single USB socket on the board so I wondered if it would be
worth putting a USB stick / `thumbdrive' in there and using it as the
ZIL / cache.  I know the real answer to my question is 'buy a proper
server' but this is a home system and cost, noise and power-consumption
all mandate the current choice of machine.

(Yes;  the USB socket is vertical;  I'd have to buy a right-angle
converter)

Thanks, Michael.