[OmniOS-discuss] speeding up file access

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Wed Mar 4 14:17:50 UTC 2015

No USB flash is going to bring any benefit to the game as a log device.  If
it has any ram cache to increase write performance, it's useless as a log
device because it will not have any power protection for the ram.  Most
likely it will not have any RAM and write performance will be poor.  Decent
log devices don't come cheap.

If it's just a home server set up some frequent snapshots and turn sync
off.   You may have to throw away the most recent writes in the case of a
power failure, but your performance will be maximized.

I've been doing this for 4 years on my home ZFS server, about 1/2 dozen
power failures and I've never lost anything.  I still keep it backed up.  I
use Code42's Crashplan.

-Chip