[OmniOS-discuss] CIFS File Lock Problems

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Mar 6 19:30:35 UTC 2015

> On Mar 6, 2015, at 2:16 PM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:
> It would be great if those SMB2 and fixes get upstreamed at some point.

All of the distro makers are busy... well... working on their distros.  I certainly am (r151014 with its pkg(5) improvements, including some not yet in bloody, is in its final approach), and I know Joyent & Nexenta are as well.

When we find time, we upstream.  Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's hard.  Sometimes it's hard because a distro's architectural decisions aren't the same as other distros, and it takes times to convert a distro's technology into something upstreamable.  Joyent coolness sometimes has this problem (e.g. their work in virtual network devices).  They're not sabotaging upstreaming, they are solving their problems first.  Another reason it's hard can be because a technology arrives in several pieces, and you really have to upstream them a piece at a time for the best fit.  I know the SMB2 work from Nexenta is like this.  Again, it's not done to screw the community, it's done because they have paying customers who want it, and they know who's writing their paychecks.

If you want something upstreamed, volunteer in the community.  Volunteer by offering to test, by offering to inspect a distro's source and see its commit history.  I have pieces myself that I'd like to upstream --> these will allow the building of stock illumos-gate on OmniOS.  I can't upstream them all just yet because they come in pieces, and because I have r151014 coming soon.

Sorry if I'm pontificating here, but this all isn't easy.  :)

Thanks,