[OmniOS-discuss] Howto install Grub on different device

Filip Marvan filip.marvan at aira.cz
Tue Mar 10 12:39:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have HP Microserver G8 with 4 drive bays and one SATA port. I would like
to use this separate SATA port for SSD disk with system rpool, but
Microserver G8 is not able to boot from this SATA, if AHCI mode is enabled
and in drive bays are disks.

So would like to try some workround. I would like to install GRUB on SD
card, and use this SD card for booting (but all system with rpool will
remain on SSD on SATA, only bootloader will be on SD card).

I installed GRUB to SD card without any problems with:

installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0

c2t0d0 is my microSD card, without any filesystem installed. There is only
one Solaris2 partition.

My active bootmenu entry in /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this:

title omnios-1

bootfs rpool/ROOT/omnios-1

root (hd5,0,a)

kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS

module$ /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive

But if I boot HP Microserver from my SD card, it cannot locate my menu.lst
config file and fall to grub> shell.

If I enter command:

configfile (hd5,0,a)/boot/grub/menu.lst

I can boot withou any problems in exact way as I wand, but hot to configure
GRUB, to use my config file on hd5 automatically?

Thank you for any help!

Filip Marvan