[OmniOS-discuss] rsync & MacOS

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Thu Mar 12 01:16:55 UTC 2015

danmcd at omniti.com said:
> I have some OLD files in my homedir, some may even predate MacOS X, so I do
> worry about resource forks or Creator/Type metadata.

Dan,

I like Carbon Copy Cloner for backing up our Macs.  It has rsync behind
its GUI interface, and seems to handle native HFS+ stuff just fine.

I tend to set up a remote .dmg volume on our NFS (or SMB) network share
for each Mac, and treat those like whole-volume backups (similar to what
Time Machine would do).  But CCC also works for just a subdirectory,
not just for a whole Mac volume, and to a remote share, not only to
a disk image.

CCC is shareware these days, but you can still download the freeware
version, last I checked.

Regards,

Marion