[OmniOS-discuss] NFS ._ names and rsync (was Re: rsync & MacOS)

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Mar 12 20:57:52 UTC 2015

> On Mar 12, 2015, at 4:35 PM, Philip Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's sad that Apple is still shipping rsync version 2.6.9, but with OS X 10.7 (as near as I can tell from what I read on the net) and newer it's patched to handle extend attributes and resource forks. Note, however, that at some point the meaning of options have changed: -E has different meanings and the older version doesn't support the -X/-xattrs option that replaces the old use of -E.

10.7 or better.  THat's partially helpful.  I still have 10.6 on a few nodes.

I forgot to ask something releated.

Today, when I place files using NFS (likely NFSv3) on 10.6, I see ._<FILE> which contains resource forks on the OmniOS side.  Using NFS (likely NFSv4) on 10.10, I also see them.

Does rsync do ._<file> stuff like NFS does?!?  Ideally it would , that way I can rsynch, but then recover individual files using NFS.

Thanks,