[OmniOS-discuss] rsync & MacOS

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:35:27 UTC 2015

It's sad that Apple is still shipping rsync version 2.6.9, but with OS X
10.7 (as near as I can tell from what I read on the net) and newer it's
patched to handle extend attributes and resource forks. Note, however, that
at some point the meaning of options have changed: -E has different
meanings and the older version doesn't support the -X/-xattrs option that
replaces the old use of -E.

Macports will install version 3.1.1.

(
I'm not a fan of fink (Why install a GNU environment when you have a
perfectly good UNIX(™) environment already?) and I chose Macports over
Homebrew, but I don't remember why.
Pro Homebew: http://deephill.com/macports-vs-homebrew/
Pro Macports: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1207907
)