[OmniOS-discuss] iSCSI traffic suddenly comes to a halt and then resumes

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:32:19 UTC 2015

And, if you don't have the luxury of discarding hardware and replacing it
with a supported configuration, you might look at finding marginal drives,
either via error counters displayed in iostat -En, or drives with really
high service times (in iostat -xnz output). We found (on a similar setup),
that being really aggressive about drive replacement helped a lot.

If you have desktop sata drives, then the drive firmware is part of the
problem. Desktop drives retry for quite a long time when they encounter
errors, which produce really inconsistent performance profiles. When you
aggregate into a raid set (including in ZFS) tail latencies really start to
matter for performance, and the pool just starts going out to lunch for a
long time. If you can figure out and replace the drive is causing the
problem (even if it isn't causing any hard errors), the pool performance
goes back to normal.
 -nld