[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody // mailwrapper & mta mediator

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Wed Nov 4 08:00:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03 2015 18:39:18 -0800, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 07:33:40PM -0500, Dan McDonald wrote:
>
> > We may need to weaken "require" to something else.  I know the bug
> > filer is on this list.  I'd appreciate a dialogue here on this
> > subject.
>
> We don't use sendmail. I remember piping up when sendmail became a
> requirement of 014 during its bloody phase, so I will restate -- please
> don't make sendmail a hard dependency :(. What's the point of an
> interposer allowing the use of whatever mail system you want if you're
> forced to install one you don't want 8-/. Generally on operating systems
> that allow multiple options of a specific service you add on the ones
> you want after the base install. I'd say the box in the bug report
> simply hadn't been fully configured yet.

I reported the issue because I think it's very important that OmniOS
ships with a working MTA out of the box, because things like cron do
need one. AIUI, the point of mailwrapper and the added IPS mediations is
that you can choose to install another one (that is not necessarily
shipped by the OS vendor, or even shipped as an IPS package) and use it
by default without the package manager fighting you.

You don't have to *use* sendmail. I don't really understand why you're
objecting to its mere presence on disk; it's not very large.

> Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would *choose* to use sendmail
> nowadays ;), if you want to install an MTA in the base how about you
> package up postfix :)... We're currently running it from pkgsrc.

OmniOS at present only ships one MTA choice, and that happens to be
sendmail. I would not mind that being some other MTA, but I think there
needs to be one in the base install.

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | lotheac @ IRCnet