[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody // mailwrapper & mta mediator

Andy Fiddaman omnios at citrus-it.net
Wed Nov 4 22:44:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015, Dan McDonald wrote:

; Does the *presence* of sendmail in a default install actually prevent folks from using their preferred MTAs with the mediator (which still works from what I can tell)?

Not directly. I install my own Sendmail package (which lives in
/opt/sendmail/ and use the mta mediator to link it from /usr/lib/sendmail
etc., replacing mailwrapper.

Other than a desire for a minimal system, I don't have a major problem
with some unecessary files hanging around in /usr/lib/smtp/sendmail, but
I don't want the sendmail SMF service, the files in /etc/mail/ and
particularly not /etc/init.d/sendmail which is just a wrapper to the
(wrong - for me) SMF service. I also end up with some non-mediated
Sendmail-specific stuff in /usr/bin like makemap and libmilter which
I'd rather be without.

Up until now I have uninstalled the default sendmail package and configured
my images to 'avoid' it. With this change I can no longer do either.

I don't want Sendmail to be a mandatory package but if you do decide to
leave it that way, please consider removing it from entire and changing
the dependency in mailwrapper back from optional to require instead. It
would be easier for me to create a shadow mailwrapper package than to
mess with entire - and that syncs you back up with Illumos gate too.

Would a 'group' dependency give the desired result of the package being
installed by default but still avoidable to those of us who don't want
it?

Andy

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123