[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody // mailwrapper & mta mediator

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Nov 6 23:10:03 UTC 2015

> Sure, generally speaking. In this particular context I believe users
> should ship their own if they want to deploy a mail server, but
> all nodes should be able to deliver mail locally. It would also be
> great if the default install lended itself to mail submission (eg.
> a satellite mailer configuration), perhaps even with opportunistic
> TLS, to cover more of the common use cases, but that might be just my
> personal bias talking.

 As a sysadmin, my vote is for a simple mailer setup of some sort that
will do either simple local delivery to /var/mail or 'smarthost' mail
submission to a full mailer somewhere else (we'd configure our OmniOS
machines to do the latter to our mail submission machine). I would be
fine with plain SMTP, with no AUTH support and no TLS. I do think that
'smarthost' mail submission should be capable enough to queue messages
and retry them if the smarthost is not reachable when the mail message
is initially generated.

(There are a whole lot of circumstances that can do this; imagine
crucial OmniOS machines on UPSes and a power failure, for example.)

	- cks