[OmniOS-discuss] Upgrading Java to OpenJDK8 - any advice?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Nov 12 12:08:17 UTC 2015

12 ноября 2015 г. 0:17:38 CET, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> пишет:
>On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com>
>wrote:
>
>> As the first non-upstream-merge change for the r151017 bloody cycle,
>I'm
>> hoping to update java from openjdk7 to openjdk8.
>>
>> Now obviously there will be some illumos-omnios factors (poold, the
>lone
>> java holdout in illumos), but I'm more curious about how you, the
>> community, use openjdk in OmniOS.
>>
>> Feel free to dump advice on this thread.  I'm nowhere near ready for
>> bloody update with openjdk8 yet, but since I'm starting, I figure
>early
>> feedback is better.
>>

>(I see that Ben already mentioned that we don't use the bundled version
>on
>our
>omnios machines. So below relates to the issues I faced when
>contemplating
>the same upgrade for my own distro.)
>
>As 32-bit, 64-bit, or dual personality?
>
>I think that's the thing that's likely to be "interesting", although I
>guess most
>people wouldn't notice.
>
>I'm a little confused by the current openjdk7 that's shipped, which
>appears
>be 32-bit only.
>
>The default jdk8 is 64-bit, although it is possible to build a 32-bit
>version. I
>haven't tried creating a dual-personality openjdk8 package, I'm not
>even
>sure
>it's possible.
>
>One request in the openjdk area - can you populate the cacerts file?

There's a couple cents from me twoo ;)

Dual-personality (-d32 and -d64) - yes both please. There are small services written in Java mostly for portability rather than scalability. They do not require 4g+ VM space, but would suffer (consume noticeably mkre hist memory) from largish 64-bit pointers all over the stack.

Also, a showstopper for Oracle JDK8u25 and 8u11 on my laptop in a particular usecase for me was that Netbeans 8.0.2 won't start up (cleanly) with "The package containing the class javax.swing.JComponentBeanInfo was not found". Same issue  with OpenJDK7 (1.7.0_080 oi internal), but works ok with Oracle JDK 7u65. Note that to test this, export netbeans_jdkhome=... rather than common JAVA_HOME.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android