[OmniOS-discuss] Upgrading Java to OpenJDK8 - any advice?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:17:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> As the first non-upstream-merge change for the r151017 bloody cycle, I'm
> hoping to update java from openjdk7 to openjdk8.
>
> Now obviously there will be some illumos-omnios factors (poold, the lone
> java holdout in illumos), but I'm more curious about how you, the
> community, use openjdk in OmniOS.
>
> Feel free to dump advice on this thread.  I'm nowhere near ready for a
> bloody update with openjdk8 yet, but since I'm starting, I figure early
> feedback is better.

(I see that Ben already mentioned that we don't use the bundled version on
our
omnios machines. So below relates to the issues I faced when contemplating
the same upgrade for my own distro.)

As 32-bit, 64-bit, or dual personality?

I think that's the thing that's likely to be "interesting", although I
guess most
people wouldn't notice.

I'm a little confused by the current openjdk7 that's shipped, which appears
be 32-bit only.

The default jdk8 is 64-bit, although it is possible to build a 32-bit
version. I
haven't tried creating a dual-personality openjdk8 package, I'm not even
sure
it's possible.

One request in the openjdk area - can you populate the cacerts file?

--
-Peter Tribble