[OmniOS-discuss] Can't get OmniOS to see LSI 1068e on SuperMicro X8DTL-3F

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Nov 15 20:40:55 UTC 2015

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> I’ve got a X8DTL-3F that I’m attempting to install OmniOS onto.
>
> The installer wouldn’t see the 4x SAS disks connected to the onboard
> LSI 1068e. prtconf -d showed that the driver wasn’t getting attached
> to the card.

What is the storage size of the disks?  This controller has a disk
size limit.

> How do I get these drives seen by OmniOS? (and bootable!)
>
> Additionally (while I have your attention) there are a pair of NVMe
> drives in PCIe adapters that are also showing up as (driver not
> attached) that I would really like to get working as those are to be
> my SLOG devices. Samsung SM951 if it matters.

I have AHCI versions of the Samsung SM951 here that OmniOS sees and
installed onto.  It took a BIOS update (SuperMicro) before the BIOS
also saw the devices and could boot from them.  This is in a Xeon
D-1450 based system.

Even with AHCI (rather than NVMe), zfs scrub reports a scrub rate
exceeding 1.3GB/s across a pair of these devices.  They would be
fantastic as L2ARC devices.

The NVMe driver is really new so perhaps not many devices are
automatically recognized yet.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn