[OmniOS-discuss] Apache for OmniOS r151016?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Nov 19 23:02:03 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Martin Waldenvik wrote:

> Hi Bob
>
> Why not use joyents pkgsrc. Install only apache.

I did this by accident before when I selected to install 'subversion'
(to get a client) and was surprised to see it install Apache.  At the
time I thought that it might conflict with some Apache offered by
OmniOS.

Pksrc is indeed quite a lot of packages.  It is a different package
dependency system than IPS so it is possible to create
excessive/conflicting installs since there is some overlap.

Another possibility is to create one's own IPS repository with
packages built from source code (e.g. SFE pkgbuild
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pkgbuild/) and published as described
at the bottom of http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging.  This
requires more work, but could benefit the community.

The various SFE package collections I see targeting OmniOS are small.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn