[OmniOS-discuss] Apache for OmniOS r151016?

Thomas Wagner tom-omnios-discuss at tom.bn-ulm.de
Fri Nov 20 11:20:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 05:02:03PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>  On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Martin Waldenvik wrote:
>
> > Hi Bob
> >
> > Why not use joyents pkgsrc. Install only apache.
[...]
>  Another possibility is to create one's own IPS repository with packages
>  built from source code (e.g. SFE pkgbuild
>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pkgbuild/) and published as described at
>  the bottom of http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging.  This requires
>  more work, but could benefit the community.
>
>  The various SFE package collections I see targeting OmniOS are small.

Yes, that small number of packages or OmniOS can be extended to e.g.
build up a webstack which works across the various supported OS
distributions. That way, I personally hope to share the efforts
across the OS (S11, OI, OI-Hipster, OmniOS).
And sharing work across the OS is one of the main goals in SFE.

A automated near continues build system is available so you can
just use the packages once they are in the SFE build scripts repo.

If we can agree on the set of packages needed and collect some examples
of basic compile settings, that would help my attempt to esablish such
a webstack.

What should be contained in such a webstack? I believe we might need
variants like using apache or nginx or <some_other_popular_webserver>,
then PHP as apache module and as fastcgi.
Besides that, usually a database like mysql_derivate and postgresql
should be available. Some OS might use the database delivered by the
OS; but I personally prefer to say independent of the underlaying OS,
if possible.

Regards
Thomas