[OmniOS-discuss] Apache for OmniOS r151016?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Nov 20 15:38:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015, Thomas Wagner wrote:

>>  The various SFE package collections I see targeting OmniOS are small.
>
> Yes, that small number of packages or OmniOS can be extended to e.g.
> build up a webstack which works across the various supported OS
> distributions. That way, I personally hope to share the efforts
> across the OS (S11, OI, OI-Hipster, OmniOS).
> And sharing work across the OS is one of the main goals in SFE.

The omniti-ms repository is the only IPS repository I have found with
apache in it.  SFE on SourceForge does not appear to have any spec
files for apache.  I assume that this is because SFE has primarily
targeted Oracle Solaris and OpenIndiana, which already come with
apache.

> If we can agree on the set of packages needed and collect some examples
> of basic compile settings, that would help my attempt to esablish such
> a webstack.

Compile settings and needed dependencies for apache could be a matter
of some debate.  My own needs are rather small and I am not at all
happy with the with the number of packages that pkgsrc wants to pull
in for apache (many are redundant with what OmniOS already includes),
and the disk space which will be consumed.

This particular install is into a zone and the only Web-serving
requirement for this zone is to offer Git and Mercurial web
interfaces, which are based on Perl and Python CGI scripts.  Installs
to other zones on the same system may have more significant
requirements but not really more than what is already offered by
apache given existing OmniOS packages.

OmniOS has a "Keep Your Stuff To Yourself" policy, but my own policy
is to try to avoid the infection of too much "stuff".

This is the pkgsrc package dependency chain I see for various web
server offerings.  Many of these are redundant with OmniOS packages
and many represent functionality I will never need:

# pkgin -n install apache
calculating dependencies... done.

nothing to upgrade.
10 packages to be installed (31M to download, 114M to install):

tcp_wrappers-7.6.4
cyrus-sasl-2.1.26nb4
libuuid-2.26.2
openldap-client-2.4.42nb3
db4-4.8.30
pcre-8.37
expat-2.1.0nb1
apr-util-1.5.4nb2
apr-1.5.2
apache-2.4.16

# pkgin -n install nginx
calculating dependencies... done.

nothing to upgrade.
3 packages to be installed (17M to download, 60M to install):

perl-5.22.0
pcre-8.37
nginx-1.9.4

# pkgin -n install lighttpd
calculating dependencies... done.

nothing to upgrade.
7 packages to be installed (25M to download, 89M to install):

db4-4.8.30
tcp_wrappers-7.6.4
cyrus-sasl-2.1.26nb4
pcre-8.37
openldap-client-2.4.42nb3
lua51-5.1.5nb2
lighttpd-1.4.37

# pkgin -n install gitweb
calculating dependencies... done.

nothing to upgrade.
36 packages to be installed (53M to download, 381M to install):

p5-Business-ISBN-Data-20140910.002nb1
db4-4.8.30
p5-Net-SSLeay-1.70
p5-Net-LibIDN-0.12nb7