[OmniOS-discuss] Upgrading Java to OpenJDK8 - any advice?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Sat Nov 21 03:19:19 UTC 2015

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 9:42 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity, how exactly did a system-level daemon like this end up
> written in Java in the first place 8-/? Looks like a fair chunk of the code
> is JNI glue allowing Java to call C code...

I have NO idea.  I was in the networking, then security, group back at Sun.  This was done in OS/kernel, and you're better off asking that question on developer at illumos.

I *WILL* say that Java was hot-and-new, and other components now expunged from illumos, like the DHCP manager, were also written in Java.