[OmniOS-discuss] was: HP Proliant Gen9 server; now: Mezzanine H220 problems SL4540

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Fri Oct 16 12:48:06 UTC 2015

Hi!

-----"OmniOS-discuss" <omnios-discuss-bounces at lists.omniti.com> skrev: -----
Till: Lawrence Giam <paladinemishakal at gmail.com>
Från: Trey Palmer
Sänt av: "OmniOS-discuss"
Datum: 2015-10-16 06:47
Kopia: omnios-discuss <omnios-discuss at lists.omniti.com>
Ärende: Re: [OmniOS-discuss] HP Proliant Gen9 server

Somewhat relevant:   I tested a 60-disk 4.3U SL4540 Gen8 earlier this year, using the mezzanine H220 (which is an LSI mpt_sas chipset, the PCIe version looks like a bog standard 920x-8i).   The box takes two mezzanine cards which reminded me a little of Sparc 20 SBus cards.

There's a PCIe riser available for the upper socket, but you can't use it for an HBA because the only connection to the disks is through the mezzanine sockets.

The mezzanine H220 was the most pathological mpt_sas card I've ever encountered.   The disks would just disconnect completely.  It could be the weird connection or the SAS expanders or anything else (disks were He8 SAS).   It just felt risky and we punted on the non-standard hardware after trying several firmware versions even though we loved the form factor.

The "onboard 10GbE" turns out to be Mellanox ConnectX3, with one QSFP and one SFP.   It has two SFF AHCI SATA system drives (B120i) per server module.   You can get it with one or several nodes in the chassis, 1x60, 2x25 or 3x15.   It seems purpose-built for the HDFS/Ceph/GlusterFS communities.

   -- Trey

Just want to comment on the Mezzanine H220 problems on SL4540:

Could be a PCI bridge problem. Perhaps there is a bridge between the PCIe bus and the mezzanine card slot, and that one could definitly mess it up...

Rgrds Johan