[OmniOS-discuss] HP Proliant Gen9 server

Trey Palmer trey at mailchimp.com
Fri Oct 16 04:38:49 UTC 2015

B140i is standard AHCI with a fakeraid mode per HP's docs, so it probably
works okay.

B120i works fine, and it looks B140i is the same thing but supports more
disks.

We also run OmniOS on DL380Gen8's, but with LSI2x08 cards and Intel X520's
(ixgbe) vice the onboard controllers.   That setup works well.   I have a
Gen9 with an LSI card racked in to test but haven't gotten to it yet.

One really nice thing about the DL380Gen9 is that you can get a 24xSFF
version with no SAS expanders.

Somewhat relevant:   I tested a 60-disk 4.3U SL4540 Gen8 earlier this year,
using the mezzanine H220 (which is an LSI mpt_sas chipset, the PCIe version
looks like a bog standard 920x-8i).   The box takes two mezzanine cards
which reminded me a little of Sparc 20 SBus cards.

There's a PCIe riser available for the upper socket, but you can't use it
for an HBA because the only connection to the disks is through the
mezzanine sockets.

The mezzanine H220 was the most pathological mpt_sas card I've ever
encountered.   The disks would just disconnect completely.  It could be the
weird connection or the SAS expanders or anything else (disks were He8
SAS).   It just felt risky and we punted on the non-standard hardware after
trying several firmware versions even though we loved the form factor.

The "onboard 10GbE" turns out to be Mellanox ConnectX3, with one QSFP and
one SFP.   It has two SFF AHCI SATA system drives (B120i) per server
module.   You can get it with one or several nodes in the chassis, 1x60,
2x25 or 3x15.   It seems purpose-built for the HDFS/Ceph/GlusterFS
communities.

   -- Trey