[OmniOS-discuss] UPDATE NOW --> ntp to 4.2.8p4

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Oct 22 18:57:45 UTC 2015

Hi Dan!

Thanks for all the work you're doing on OmniOS!

> > On Oct 22, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > "pkg update" followed by "svcadm restart ntp" as a safety measure
> > should be sufficient.  No rebooting is needed.
>
> I made a small mistake here.  The "svcadm restart..." is not
> necessary, the IPS package does the right thing here.

Well, no, it doesn't. :-)  That's due to a design flaw in the interaction
between IPS and SMF (IMHO).  Even though the manifest object in the package
is properly tagged with restart_fmri, the service is never restarted,
because the manifest is not touched during the "pkg update", as it has not
changed since the last package version.

So if you change an SMF method in a package and want an "automatic"
restart, you  need to also physically modify the SMF manifest.  I do that
by just incrementing a version counter or a timestamp, and noting the
fact in an XML comment in the manifest.  Otherwise, you need to manually
restart the service.

Unrelated, when I updated my local copy of the r151014 repo in preparation
of the pkg udpate for ntp, I got this:

  Processing packages for publisher omnios ...
  Retrieving and evaluating 6161 package(s)...
  Download Manifests ( 907/6161) -pkgrecv: http protocol error: code: 404 reason: Not Found

  Processing packages for publisher omnios ...
  Retrieving and evaluating 1030 package(s)...
  PROCESS                                         ITEMS    GET (MB)   SEND (MB)
  Completed                                         1/1     2.4/2.4     4.9/4.9

So the recent addition of the illumos-tools pkg broke something in your
repo.  I worked around that by specifying the service/network/ntp pkg
in the pkgrecv invocation.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"