[OmniOS-discuss] UPDATE NOW --> ntp to 4.2.8p4

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Thu Oct 22 19:18:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
>> I made a small mistake here.  The "svcadm restart..." is not
>> necessary, the IPS package does the right thing here.
>
> Well, no, it doesn't. :-)  That's due to a design flaw in the interaction
> between IPS and SMF (IMHO).  Even though the manifest object in the package
> is properly tagged with restart_fmri, the service is never restarted,
> because the manifest is not touched during the "pkg update", as it has not
> changed since the last package version.

The service has restarted correctly for me on both 006 and 014 with
this update.  I'm not sure why that is though, because you're correct
that the ntp.xml file has not changed in all of the '014 versions
published.  I was under the impression that the restart_fmri actuator
would only fire when the associated action was triggered.

However, if we really *do* want to restart ntp when the *daemon*
updates, then we could add a restart_fmri actuator on the
usr/lib/inet/ntpd file.  Thus, whenever that file is updated,
svc:/network/ntp:default could be restarted.

Eric