[OmniOS-discuss] BIND DNS server on r151014

Andries Annema an3s.annema at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:15:37 UTC 2016

Hello all,

What's up with the BIND DNS server package? Trying to get it installed and
running on a r151014 box and even though installation  from the
ms.omniti.com publisher is successful, .:

# pkg info server/dns/bind

          Name: omniti/server/dns/bind

         State: Installed

     Publisher: ms.omniti.com

       Version: 9.10.4

        Branch: 0.151014

Packaging Date: Wed May  4 18:19:49 2016

          Size: 63.48 MB

          FMRI:
pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/server/dns/bind@9.10.4-0.151014:20160504T181949Z

. a DNS server service doesn't show up:

# svcs -a | grep dns

disabled       14:04:31 svc:/network/dns/install:default

disabled       14:04:31 svc:/network/dns/client:default

disabled       14:04:33 svc:/network/dns/multicast:default

Neither can I find any "named.conf" file to try and start any configuration
- just a man page:

# find / -name named.conf*

/opt/omni/share/man/man5/named.conf.5

A couple of years ago, I managed to install the BIND DNS server from the
uulm.mawi repo - which is mentioned here as well:
http://lists.omniti.com/pipermail/omnios-discuss/2013-February/000464.html -
but that repo is listed as being deprecated.

Can't find any instructions on the matter either, and that while a DNS
server isn't really some obscure piece of software now, is it.

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Any light on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Andries