[OmniOS-discuss] Using Docker tarballs for LX zone installations?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:28:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> Turns out some userlands very much depend on the Linux kernel being at a
> certain version.

Ah, but is that really "at" or "later than". I've simply set it to 4.4.15
and left it there.
No problems so far, which is what I would expect.

> I had problems bringing up the systemd kool-aid drinkers (eg Ubuntu 16)
> until I realized this.

Well yes, there is a (rough) minimum version needed for systemd support.
Do later versions cause issues?

I snagged the Debian 8.4 tarball, set my kernel to 3.16.0, and it worked.
> I even "apt update/upgrade"ed it.

Likewise. I then went a bit further, and did a full build and test run of
our software
stack. So that exercises java, jruby, maven, make, g++, postgres, fairly
heavily.

No problems with LX as such, but it did bring up one issue. I initially got
a lot
of errors due to 'Too many open files'. Looks like the default limit of
open files
is set quite low - 256, which is quite a bit lower than a normal Linux
system. It
would be worth raising the default limit for LX to 1024 to avoid surprises.

--
-Peter Tribble