[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS sendmail suitable for Internet mail hub?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 7 21:03:28 UTC 2016

Perhaps being naive, yesterday I switched my Internet mail server from
Solaris 10 to OmniOS r151016, using OmniOS sendmail, self-built
Dovecot, self-built bogofilter, and self-built milter-greylist.
These components are running in an isolated zone.  A self-built BIND
named runs in the global zone.

While the sendmail version and sendmail features seem to be very
similar compared with Solaris 10, I have noticed at least one
difference, which was that SMTP does not support user authentication
(I saw a post on a Illumos list that Dale Ghent is working to improve
this).

I have heard from a Comcast user that Comcast refused to send email to
me.  Sometime later, I did see an email arrive from this user.  It is
not clear to me if there is a problem on my end.  He tells me that he
is able to ping the IP address but telnet to port 25 hung forever
without any smtp hello string (might be a Comcast filter).

I see that TLS is not working/enabled.  The feature list and package
dependencies suggest that I should be able to get this working.

Many suggest using Postfix but I have been using sendmail successfully
for many years and have a simple configuration which has been working
for me.

Are there any known issues with OmniOS sendmail with regards to
receipt of messages from the Internet at large?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn