[OmniOS-discuss] How do I start apache when installed from ms.omniti.com repo

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jul 6 13:31:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Geoff Nordli wrote:

> There is also pkgsrc: https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/ if you
> want the amp stack.

This is a very large collection of packages which are easy to install,
but it uses a different package manager than IPS.  Installed packages
are sometimes redundant with what comes with OmniOS and more software
may be installed than strictly needed since most package options are
enabled (similar to Linux).  This is not much of a problem for the
global zone but seems expensive (for space consumed) for non-global
zones.

I was intially put-off by the pkgsrc solution when I wanted to install
just a subversion VCS client and observed that a great many packages
where installed, including Apache, which was automatically started up.

If you start with pkgsrc, you probably want to use it for everything.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn